Monday, August 5, 2013

Trust Falls

Today, I took a leap of faith, and I jumped off a cliff. 

Recently, I've been recognizing some extremely skewed views I have on God - views that have been hindering my trust of Him, of people, and even of myself. I feel like He is calling me into a season of renewing my perspective and teaching me how to trust Him in strong and healthy ways. 

So, I jumped off a cliff.

Some friends were going to the End of the World here in Kona, HI. It's a sweet place to go cliff diving. I had no intention of doing such a thing. In the past couple of years, I have become more aware of my body, how important it is to take care of it as a dancer, and I'm just not as big of a fan of heights. Logical. But, I felt God challenge me... I felt Him saying He wanted to use this jump as an exercise of faith.

I scoped out the area for a good spot. With the help of the awesome Ships DTS, I found a solid place with little risk. Many had gone before me, and I cringed at the suspense of every one of them. Now here I was, taking forever and a day to jump. 

I felt Him whisper it was okay, He would protect me. I found reassurance looking beyond the step in front of me, and gazing into the horizon. I was shaking like mad, and everyone was encouraging me to go. I felt His assurance that I needn't go on their timing, but His.

After a loooooong wait, I push off, scream JESUSS!!!!!!!!!!! 


Photo Credit: Jamie Parrish


Then, I am swallowed up in the water. Ah, what a sweet release. It was magnificent to be surrounded by an expanse of water that has the power to destroy, bring life, thrash, and direct. It was so easy to float with the smooth swells and feel like I was a part of something infinitely bigger than I am.

“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
C.S. Lewis, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

God is pushing my borders. He is challenging me to let go of what I think will save me for the adventure of His life. While this sounds like an easy trade-off, there are lots of deeply rooted barriers that stand in the way. I am super pumped that God called me to jump. As I continue forward in this season of renewal, I will have this glorious, physical picture of diving into God's deep embrace. He will take care of me. Hallelujah, amen!




**If you are interested in formal updates about the school of dance ministry I am doing, feel free to contact me/send me an e-mail with your e-mail and/or contact information. I am aiming to send out at least one newsletter a month. If you did not receive the July newsletter, please let me know.**

No comments:

Post a Comment